I used to think the coloured balls were more of a novelty, but after having lost a lot of WHITE golf balls lately, I decided to do a little research on what are the most visible golf ball colours, and promptly ordered some yellow ones based on the following (which is just a general consensus, nothing scientific here):
1. Green golf balls – the reviewer liked the Volvik Vivid Green as the easiest to see
2. Yellow golf balls – the mainstay of coloured golf balls
3. Pink golf balls – not very masculine, but easy to spot (can you tell this was written by a man :D)
4. Orange golf balls – not a good idea in the fall
5. White golf balls
6. Red golf balls
7 . Blue golf balls – they get lost in the sky and don’t contrast as well on the ground
The only difference between a high visibility golf ball and a white ball of the same model is the colour of the cover. The rest of the construction of the same model of golf ball is identical.
Can high visibility golf balls improve my score? Yes and no. The color of the ball won’t make a difference to the way you hit the ball so physically no. But psychologically, the fun aspect and the ability to see your ball more easily through the air does give you a small confidence boost. When you know you’re going to find your golf ball because you saw exactly where it landed and can walk directly to that spot, you feel confident to grip it and rip it. The lack of confidence inhibits your swing.
The top rated balls are:
– Volvik Vivid (best visibility and performance combo)
– Callaway Chrome Soft (best all-round golf ball regardless of colour)
– Chromax M1x (best disco-ball-visibility for slower swingers)
– Srixon Z-Star (colourful alternative to the Pro V1)
– Callaway SuperSoft Multicolor Pack (best performing for slower swingers)